Sign in to follow this  

Reliability?

hey guys i been researchin into gtirs for quite a long time but i cant decide if i really wanna buy one or not i see that u can hav box and clutch problems quite alot. r they a really unreliable car? coz its either this or a 180 but yeh gtirs jus look so much better but alot fo ppl r against them as opposed to bein a big fan of them like me.

u guys own the cars so id liek ur input in owning one and if u hav enjoyed it etc or is it worth while gettin a 180 that r so strong in gearbox area

cheers

look after the gearbox (and the car) and it will look after you. launch at every set of lights and spend up big on replacement boxes. plus 180's are too common, and too easy to modify :wink:

buy from a forum member and you should be pretty safe...

and great advice above...what screws them is abuse and boost

only need t oworry about gearbox if you have high powered car or abuse it constantly. same with any car. constant 5k launches will break things

when i first got mine had a few problems but all slowly fixed it up and mines a daily driver and always runs well for me.

gtir's are AWD so the gearbox's are constantly put under more stress than gearbox's from a rwd. therefore they need to be taken care of.

also, a gtir will handle very differently from a 180 as you probably know, so it depends what you want out of it.

yeh dont compare apples with oranges, figure out what you really want and go for it. Ask on any performance forum and I'm sure you would find people to bag any model car......and chris is right, any AWD performance car is going to have a "weak" box, only beacuse they are more likely to be abused by too many launches

Many ppl on here will have different advice, mainly due to their own experience with the car, how much money they've put into it, whats gone wrong etc.. The two cars are very different, and obviously the GTiR is far, far superior :)

Buy from a member, and enjoy the endless thrills (and frustrations) this car has to offer. Be warned however, they are very expensive to own, maintain and modify compared to many other cars.

Don't let it discourage you, I have fallen madly in love with this car and can't imagine owning another car as fun as this. Call it narrow-minded if you will, but its the truth :P

They are definately a fun car to drive and in a straight line are damn fast, but if you want to do drift then this is no the car for you.

I have spent a lot in maintenance over the years and if you can learn to do it yourself you will save a lot of money and learn a lot. There are good how-to guides and advice on this forum.

Simon

If you buy a well cared for example it should be good to you. If you go and buy a GTiR for 10K - 12K expect to be spending money fixing it in the not to distant future. I have had my car for 3 years and it has seen more 5000 rpm launches than I can count. I have given it a bit of a thrashing and she has held up. That is because I spend a bit of money maintaining the car and also drive it hard but with a little mecahnical sympathy.

Try and buy a well maintained one, esp. from a forum memeber and you shouldn't have any troubles if you take good care and maintain it well. Buy a shit heap for 12K and you will probably end up spending another 10K in one year on it. They do have their bad handling characteristics, but as I found out on the weekend, they are not as bad as people make them out to be.

If your choice is between a 180 and a GTiR you should go for a 180. Expect to pay $1000 a year for non service related costs on a GTiR.

It depends if you want to have a common drift car with cops pulling you over every 5 minutes, or a reltively unknown pocket rocket that is easy to develop a passion for.

To think about how much has been spent over the years makes me ask myself WHY!!!!, then i get behind the wheel of my 'R & know I wouldn't trade it for anything.

To think about how much has been spent over the years makes me ask myself WHY!!!!, then i get behind the wheel of my 'R & know I wouldn't trade it for anything.

seriously though, Sam is right, although it's probably like that for lots of other car enbthusiast types as well... I thought Rs were awesome, so I bought one, and now, even though it has cost me a LOT of money, I like them even more now than I did back then...

If you treat it well, don't mod it, you should be relatively fine, but that goes for the 180 as well. It really does come down to what you want the car for...

Yeah if you keep and R stock it should be good to you, as soon as you mod it and up the power levels things start to break. Though my car has been running around 170 - 180 kw for a few years now and I have only been through one clutch and basic service stuff. Yes I am touching wood but my R has been good to me.

i've had my gti-r for about 1.5yrs now, during the time of purchase a 180 was an option but in the end i chose the car i loved most.

mine is stock, things do break and require maintenance, after all it is a 15 yr old car. if u treat it like shit then u will obviously break few things but that comes with all cars.

like everyone else said, if you treat the car well and maintain it then u've got urself a nice pocket rocket. if u plan on doing big launches all day everyday and abuse it then u will be in for some gearbox/clutch problems. so in the end ur decision should really come down to whether u love the car or what u intend to use the car for.

twin plate...ppg....gearbox problem solved, go the gtir...all the way, 180's are for girls with big tits

Guest western-r

I have to agree with much of the comments so far. My R has had one major problem and that came about because I was testing its limits, I found them, made the changes and kept on enjoying the beast that it is. My R is a daily driver and has been for 3 years now, in that time I think I have spent less money on maintenance than any of my friends have spent on their hilux utes or 300ZX, if you want it for a daily driver and a bit of weekend fun, go for it!! Better yet, buy mine :wink: , its in the for sale section :lol:. I have never had a gearbox problem and have replaced my clutch once, just treat her well and she'll keep you entertained for a long time!

i am a new owner of the GTIR i have owned it for like 3 months and its been in the workshop more then my house........

but after the amounts of $$$ that i have wasted on the car just to get it working its all worth it when ur sitting in the drivers seat....

u just need alot of $$$ to own one...

ive spent stuff all on mine and its going freakin great atm....AND theres nothing better than blowing away bogans in hsv's that have described my car at the lights as a hairdressers car haha

do it man go the gtir....DO IT!!!!!!