Sign in to follow this  
Guest Key

Insurance?

Guest Key

I am looking to buy a Gti-r in the near future (sooner rather than later I hope !) I have tried to get a quote from NRMA who I am currently with, but they wont confirm if they will actually insure the car without me setting up a policy and having their under writers ok it.

Obviously every one here has insurance. Can you please share with me your insurance experiences so I don't waste my time calling all companies.

Thanks, Kelly

NRMA does insure our cars, depends on your rating I think. Depending on your age and rating as to what you will get. Try shannons, Justcars, Famous Car insurance. They are the main ones we all use.

Hey,

Going from memory... i believe i was not able to insure a gti-r with nrma (20yrs old at the time and it was the first car under my name). I am currently with Just Cars and the price seems reasonable for 3rd party as I could not afford the hefty comprehensive... being quoted at 6k ahah!. However i there are some alternatives i shouldve gotten quotes for.

try Shannons, Allianz, i also think commonwealth bank offers car insurances as i was told to get quote while withdrawing a large of sum to purchase my car. Also try www.youngandcool.com.au u get a cheaper premium if u've done a driving course.

hope that helps.

well i was 24 and called up RACV......the consultant put me on hold cos she saw something pop up on her computer screen that she's never seen before...when she got back she said "i spoke to my manager here and is your car an import?" i replied "yes".... "is it turbo?"..."yes"...."sorry we dont insure imports" and then she hung up on me :cry: hehehe

Just done the same as you, with the insurance stuff, if you can pay in one instalment Shannons is good, Just car, and famous will let you pay over 12 months, for me famous worked out best, ask for Micheal he knows about these cars.

Guest cafiem

I'm with Shannons, They are competitive and if you want they also have motorsport clauses. But I am old.

Guest markimak

i love this.. GTiR owners ranging from 17-58/60? nice to see the old retirees still carve up the general V8 old ppl retirees..

happy B'day gary. my boss gary hes 58ish? he just brought his 3rd a 06 2.5L wrx haha

go u old ppl!

Guest markimak

on topic. how old r u key. im 17 and this is my first car and justcars wants 4000.. so u can basicallt just better that.

whats the number for famous?.....can I ask around how much was your premium?

I am paying $900 Ty, but their excess is higher. $1000 compared with $600 for shannons, and $2000 if its you fault and no one else was involved. They didn't tell me these beforehand.

As for the number, try searching you lazy hoe :lol:

ask for Micheal he knows about these cars.

I've wspoken to him a few times, yeah, good bloke.

NRMA couldn't even be bothered to give me a quote. In fact they were quite rude about it. But thats NRMA for you.

Famous Classics number is 1300 886029

Unique auto sport web site has contact details to a lot of companies

http://www.uniqueautosports.com/

GTiR owners ranging from 17-58/60? nice to see the old retirees still carve up the general V8 old ppl retirees.

:twisted: 8)

happy B'day gary

Thanks Mark :)

On Topic

Insurance, we get ours through Famous for a very reasonable amount, seeing as we are almost retirees, but you basically have to SHOP around to each company, and not once, do it a couple of times, cause as has been said here, diferent people in the same company give different quotes.

A couple of calls could save you, especially in your situation, under 21, up to $1,000, and that's worth it for a couple of hours and $20 worth of phone calls.

Good luck in the search

Gary

Guest cafiem
on topic. how old r you key. i'm 17 and this is my first car and justcars wants 4000.. so you can basicallt just better that.

How the hell can you guys afford that ? I pay about $500 a year comprehensive. Rating one and I haven't had a claim for I think 20 years since I was 18...Yes I was young and dumb once too.

well, if we're comparing prices, i'm 23 and pay $1100 per year, full comp with just cars, rating one. not bad, really :mrgreen:

Guest cafiem
They can't afford it. Thats why so many only have third party.

Are the days gone where you insure in mum's name as a nominated driver like the good ol days ?

I did that for my first car... a big mistake in my opinion. When it came time to insure the 'R I technically had no insurance history. Dispite being a driver with (at the time) 4 years experience, I had to start from scratch with insurance.

My first year cost me $2400... to say the least I was spewing. But that was when GTi-R were still over $20,000 for a decent one.

I'm still paying a little more than $1600, but I am definately going to look around next time its due. With some history under my belt I might beable to find something better.

Cheers,

Hubert

well, if we're comparing prices, i'm 23 and pay $1100 per year, full comp with just cars, rating one. not bad, really :mrgreen:

I'm the same as Kai, same age, excess, rating and insurer

I pay $1100 with shannons atm, for a rating 1 :) Found them easier then just cars 'cause when I started to add mods the price kept on going up, with shannons it didn't matter. Also pay by month which is handy for me.

They can't afford it. Thats why so many only have third party.

Are the days gone where you insure in mum's name as a nominated driver like the good ol days ?

See us old timers didn't have to worry about that, because we started driving with a sh1ter, and built a rating . Then we progressed to a better, more expensive, faster car.

You young guys nowadays have to have the fast, high insurance rated cars first up. That doesn't help things.

but was that with all mods listed?

I'm with Shannons @ $98 pcm and my car has got plenty of mods (and they know all about them). I'm happy with that.