Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wayne Caldwell

Gtir purchase

Guest Wayne Caldwell

Looking at a GTI-R that has been modified with a bigger turbo. Have not test driven yet, what should I be looking for before taking it to a mechanic.

interior, exterior in good nick, needs a respray, how difficult to source spare parts, got a red flag when all the guy can talk about how much boost ect lol.

What price range am i looking at for a good to mint condition one.

Admin
12 hours ago, Guest Wayne Caldwell said:

what should I be looking for before taking it to a mechanic.

Engine and gearbox health.

For the engine, a DIY dry comp test can give an initial idea, but get a mech to do a leak down.

Gearbox is trickier, crunching/grinding suggests synchros, but unfortunately fatigue doesn't really have obvious symptoms.

If it has an aggressive clutch the odds are stacked against it (even moreso with increased power).

how difficult to source spare parts

Varies a lot. Although the sourcing still isn't too bad, the problem is the price-gouging by the selfish greedy profiteers which has effected the market of old used parts in general (Stefan Nismo is a good example of how a single horrible human can have a significant negative imapct in the world).

What price range am i looking at for a good to mint condition one

Seems to be mid-to-high teens in Oz at the moment.

Note if you want to import one from Japan in that condition (Grade 4) they are selling for 1-1.2m JPY, which currently equates to around $20k AUD landed and complied.

Guest Wayne Caldwell

Thanks great info. Looks like the best place to purchase one would be from someone in the GTI-R groups as they have put in time and effort to keep them in good condition.