Sign in to follow this  
Guest Adam

GTIR rebuild at Autopuls? Should I?

Guest Adam

Hi All,

Here's a quick background -  When I got my license at 18, the only car I wanted was a GTIR. Parents wouldn't allow it, they said it was too fast and too dangerous.

Fast forward and I'm 30 years old now and have owned an evo, wrx and an rx4 13bt, but my heart still yearns for a GTIR. 

It's time for me to relive my youth! I've been looking for a while, but haven't found one up to my standard. I'm looking for something clean. I'm not looking for a track or drag car. I want a Sunday driver, lightly modified (Intercooler, bov, air intake, exhaust, heavy clutch, brakes, rims, nice paint - nothing crazy)

I was put onto Jerry at Autopuls. I gave him a call and he told me he hasn't seen a nice example of a GTIR for a long time. He tells me too many young guys are buying them and thrashing them. It seems as the years have passed, so has the opportunity for a nice example. Jerry says he has a real clean body at his shop and everything needed to do a ground up rebuild.  Has anyone here had any dealings with him? Does he know his stuff? honest guy?

I know these rebuilds can get out of control. I've gone down this road with my rx4 and to say it was a money pit would be an understatement. I don't want to do that again.

Jerry thinks I can get where I want to be with 12-15 grand. What do you guys think? 

I know you guys know your stuff and I'd really appreciate the input.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Many members have had dealings with Jerry over the years, with both parts supply and mechanical work.

His reputation is solid. There have been no negative reports about his business practices or workmanship.

If he says he can build you an example to your requested standards for 15k then he probably can.

(although everyone knows every workshop ends up taking longer and charging more than originally expected, no matter how honest or reputable).

Note that there ARE clean examples out there, just not on the market (which is particularly quiet at the moment).

You could try posting in the For Sale section that you have 10k to spend on a good example and see if anyone is willing to sell.

HTH.

Guest Adam

Hey Shalom,

Thanks for the reply and the info.

Much appreciated.

Adam