Sign in to follow this  
Guest AWD2Go

Time taken to find in Japan?

Guest AWD2Go

Hi guys I was just wondering if anyone who had recently imported their car from Japan could tell me how long it took from the time they contracted the service agent until they found a suitable car and how fussy you were in your request.

Hi

I would say approx 4-5 weeks to lacatea GOOD car from auction as most of the good ones are already overseas,again this would depend on how good you call good !

I look each day for cars,and a good R will fetch around 550 to 600 FOB.

Got a Red car here on monday which is supposed to be grade 4 .... we shall see early next week.

There was a 1994 grade 5 car with 27k on speedo with service records up this wek ... will try to see what it sold for for you.

Cheers .... Del

There was a 1994 grade 5 car with 27k on speedo with service records up this wek ... will try to see what it sold for for you.

Cheers .... Del

DAMN!! thats pretty much brand new...do these sorta condition GTiRs come up often Del? kms would be correct yeah? interested to know what it sold for...

kelvin

[friday]

Hey Del

Owner & Supplier... So do you normally import cars on the side aswell Del..? I thought you only sold parts... How much is one looking at to buying a Stock 94 Gtir through yourself + compliancing etc

PM me...

Cheers, Steve

Hi

I would say approx 4-5 weeks to lacatea GOOD car from auction as most of the good ones are already overseas,again this would depend on how good you call good !

I look each day for cars,and a good R will fetch around 550 to 600 FOB.

Got a Red car here on monday which is supposed to be grade 4 .... we shall see early next week.

Cheers .... Del

Hi Kelvin

Very rarely with those kind of klm's. ... If the car is genuine which I beleive is possible even now.

Steve yes I do bring R's in have three at the moment one of which has lots of mods ( For Sale section - DROPPED to $19.950 from $22,500 )

PM Sent .... Steve

Cheers .... Del

Guest Kym

It took me two months to find a good one this time last year....felt like a year. But its worth the wait so you get what you really want.

Guest AWD2Go

Thanks Guys, it has been about 7 weeks now so I guess this is still within an exceptable time frame. I am looknig for a 93/4 with around 50-60klms on it. service agent tends to think he can get one for around 400 - 450 guess time will tell.

Guest AWD2GO

Two months to the day. I have signed a contract for a Grey 91 model with 67,000k's ships from Japan in a few weeks. Can't wait for it to get here.

Which service agent did you use..?

Thanks Guys, it has been about 7 weeks now so I guess this is still within an exceptable time frame. I am looknig for a 93/4 with around 50-60klms on it. service agent tends to think he can get one for around 400 - 450 guess time will tell.

Cheers, Steve

Estimated damage to Bank Acct..?

Two months to the day. I have signed a contract for a Grey 91 model with 67,000k's ships from Japan in a few weeks. Can't wait for it to get here.

Cheers, Steve

Guest AWD2Go

$12,500 landed including compliance and tyres.

Just needs RWC and rego and it's ready to go.

Guest AWD2Go

Dell's quote of around 550-600,000 would appear fairly close to the mark, we were both expecting the cars to go for a cheaper price, but recent auctions are bringing top dollar for the good ones. I bid on a 93 model with 60000klms and it went for 600,000 FOB.

The one I am hopefully getting is a dealer stock which probably sold for around the 400000 mark.

Thanx for the infor...

Dell's quote of around 550-600,000 would appear fairly close to the mark, we were both expecting the cars to go for a cheaper price, but recent auctions are bringing top dollar for the good ones. I bid on a 93 model with 60000klms and it went for 600,000 FOB.

The one I am hopefully getting is a dealer stock which probably sold for around the 400000 mark.

Cheers, Steve

Thats a nice price... Does the compliancing of a 91 model Gtir include the side intrusion bars..? Or is this an extra cost see/ing it is a pre 92 model Gtir..?

$12,500 landed including compliance and tyres.

Just needs RWC and rego and it's ready to go.

Cheers, Steve

Guest AWD2Go

The side intrusion bars are the only hurdle at this point. The service agent didn't know they were required and he emailed me this morning saying it might be a hitch.

The car was first regoed 10/91 and they were first put in 10/91 so not sure if it has them yet. Dealer in Japan is checking to see if the car has them.

service agent has offered to replace the doors with later model at his cost to be compliant but not paint them. At this point I had no intention of painting the car so it might still fall over.

The k's are claimed to be genuine and the car is in good nick.

Time to join up captain. I have a thousand more questions to ask. But PM's would be a better thing... Going to join..?

The side intrusion bars are the only hurdle at this point. The service agent didn't know they were required and he emailed me this morning saying it might be a hitch.

The car was first regoed 10/91 and they were first put in 10/91 so not sure if it has them yet. Dealer in Japan is checking to see if the car has them.

service agent has offered to replace the doors with later model at his cost to be compliant but not paint them. At this point I had no intention of painting the car so it might still fall over.

The k's are claimed to be genuine and the car is in good nick.

Cheers, Steve

Hi AWD2GO

What is your name ?

Re your purchase price ...

450K jpy FOB is very close to $8000 landed in Aust inc ALL taxes and import charges.Basicly at your door.

If we estimate compliance at $3400 ( average )inc GST and tyres at MIN of $280,we get $11,780

That's providing nothing at all needs doing to the car apon arrival,to meet Australian Standards,which would aslo be almost impossible even if the klm's are genuine.

I guess you can work out that you agent is only asking to make $720 or there abouts.Personally I wouldn't do it for that as these days Pulsars are just too risky.

This quote for a dealers car purchase does seem very cheap if the car is as good as its claimed to be.This would mean that the dealer is prepared to sell a GTi-R with around 60K genuine klm's for 350K JPY .... if your agents FOB charges from Jappa is 100 JPY,which would indicate to me that the dealer couldn't have paid 400K.

Add all these together and asuming the Dealer is making 000 on the car he has ( if you think the car on offer cost him 400K this will mean that the agent is only making 50K on the FOB .... Hmmmm

You would have to search long and hard to find anybody that would do all the nessary documentation etc to make a measly 50K on top of that he will find you doors,and fit them also !

My understanding is that SIB's were fitted well after 1992 and personally I beleive as late as Feb.

Id'e also be checking with you service agent that there is absolutly NO chassis damage at all .... not even a small dent in the chassis rails, say from a trolly jack as a deviation of the chassis rail with dents as small as 5 mm can fail compliance, You only get one chance one the vehicle has / may been knocked back it must be destroyed or re exported .... Also ascetain if there is any structural rust and or ANY signs of any acident history at all in the back or front or sides.

GTi-R doors are approx $150 each in Jappa plus any internal freight and that's not necessarily for ones fitted with SIB's.

Please for your own peace of mind, don't puchase a GTi-R from Jappa unless it has a fully recorded service history, if it's stated that the car only has 60k klm's or so as most that come up for auction are 120k + klm's .... Just work it out

Best bet ... as stated by many who have already owned and sold their cars.

Check out some Aust cars which have been loved and rebuilt with up to 100k klm's you will find one that you can look at personally with no worries of " Will it pass "your standards ! or ADRS.

It is always nice to think you have got one up when purchasing a GTi-R but to get a 67K klm' car from Jappa including agents charges would be a real bargain.

Hope all works out with saving your couple of thousand $

Just be perpared for disappointments.

Cheers .... Del

Guest AWD2Go

Hi Dell,

Thanks for that info, I have done a fair bit of research but you can never do too much research or be too careful (too easy to get ripped off).

How it works: I pay the service agent $1000 Au for which he locates the car at auction / dealer he then organises everything from deregistration all the way to the compliance company picking it up and compliancing in Oz, even RWC if required.

The price for the car I am looking at the moment is in Australia and with Australian compliance so if it fails compliance that is his problem not mine.

Your math is pretty much on target.

with his fee included and a 400,000 FOB the price is around $8900.

I have been quoted around $3600 for compliance including tyres which works out at $12,500. I must admit I am curious about how much he is paying the dealer.

I bought the car through his web site / ebay and he had it listed as available stock so I have no intention of paying the remainder of the car until the car has a compliance plate on it.

Hopefully the RWC shouldn't require much after the complaince people do their thing.

Stusse: I definately would like to join up once I have the car, there seems to be a wealth of knowlege on this forum. I come from a mechanical background in performance cars, mainly SB Chevs but look forward to getting my teeth into a high performance 4. (already have Haltech E8 & and MSD DIS and coils ready to go).

I try to think outside the square so I might ask questions from time to time that seem quite bizzare, like removing the turbo putting on a centrifugal blower and running it on LPG.

Guest AWD2Go

Hey Dell,

What did you mean by this...

"That's providing nothing at all needs doing to the car apon arrival,to meet Australian Standards,which would aslo be almost impossible even if the klm's are genuine."

Are you talking about things like after market exhaust been put back to standard etc???

If so the complaince place has the standard items to put on and they will put back the mags, exhaust ect after compliance.

Hi Paul

Sorry if I may have missled you ...

What I mean is few GTi-R's arrive with " nothing " needs fixing for compliance ,Blue Slip ( NSW ) / RWC etc ... ie : wheel bearings, oil leaks,CV boots, etc etc.

As for AM exhaust ,mags, etc.

Should you care to check up on this ......

If you present any imported vehicle to a RAW with ANY NON standard fitted parts on the vehicle,by law these must be destroyed by the RAW and not returned to the importer ( YOU ) and destroyed with conformation of this !

If the RAW is to remove these parts from your vehicle suplied to him and not destroy them as required by current legistration this would be his choice but should those "who must be obeyed " in Canberra find out .... Hmmmmm

If the RAW is to offer to remopve these said parts for you and fit std parts to your R for compliance,refitting your aftermarket parts when compliance is completed knowing that these parts were on the vehicle when presented .... THIS IS A MASSIVE BREACH OF THE RAWS SCHEEM.

Lastly ...... 400K JPY at todays exchange rate,=$7265 dependant on Ocean freight costs + $1000 = $8265 and you stete your car is already here ?

BTW Paul I have bought in 40 plus cars and believe my estimations to be close to the line

Still a little confused why you are pursuing this route

For example one of the cars I sold to a guy here in NSW with very low original klm's which had even a brand new steering wheel,New Std g/knob, and factory umbrella ... now modified with big front mount, Apexi pod behind bar,Haltech computer,550 cc injectors,Ohlin's suspension,Whiteline bushes,W/L rear bar,3 '' front pipe 5 Zigen Fireball exhaust,tower bar,Mags, ... Dyno'd at 212 KW At Hubs MRT's Dyno... Currently advertised for $14,500.inc 10 months rego and totally rust free,in black.

HTH

Cheers .... Del

Guest AWD2Go

"Lastly ...... 400K JPY at todays exchange rate,=$7265 dependant on Ocean freight costs + $1000 = $8265 and you stete your car is already here ?"

Sorry Dell, maybe I wasn't that clear about the sell price ($12,500) is the purchase price here after all the compliance had been done for a car he advertised on ebay (hense that is why he was paying for the doors).

Previously I have been trying to import one myself which was the around $8-9k figure (car, freight, service fee, import duties, gst) landed but not complianced.

What I guess I was trying to say was if I import one or if I bought one here from him through ebay it was gong to cost around $12.5 either way.

"BTW Paul I have bought in 40 plus cars and believe my estimations to be close to the line" "Still a little confused why you are pursuing this route"

I guess this is why we import, to try get the best bargain we can while not buying a lemon... (I figure there is a fine line between the two)

I am in someways going a non tradition performance route to make HP (I can't help being different) so a lot of existing mods are useless to me.

bigger turbos, intercoolers etc, some mods like suspension and brake work would be ok but I don't want to pay for mods I don't need.

I like the sense of achievement of creating a unique combination myself but at the same time can't over look that a pre modded car could offer better value if they are the right mods.

I received an email this morning, the car doesn't have the bars in the doors as hoped. So he has decided to re-sell the car in Japan.

Back to the drawing board.

Dell do you have any pics of the car you mentioned???

Hi Paul

Car I refered to is on Carsales.com and is the sixth car down the list ....

Location is Carlingfrod NSW ( pretty central to everywhere )

Cheers .... Del

Guest AWD2Go

Thanks for that Dell I contacted him a few days back and he had just sold it. I went and looked at one on Tuesday night, I don't think I am going to be able to fit the supercharger in the GTiR engine bay. It might be swearing in this forum but I am thinking a 180sx might fit my mechanical needs a bit better (bigger engine bay).