According to the current data available, the total number of GTI-Rs (Pulsar and Sunny) produced was 14613.
Sunny GTI-R (GNN14) Production Numbers
Over the 4 years that the European Domestic Market (EDM) GNN14 was produced, there were 3 "phases" of production.
It is under investigation if the 5 in the final phase were part of Series 2 or Series 1 - the dates are (mostly) RNN14 S2, but the VINs are in the sub-100k of S1, and the 2 colours are from both series.
Exact location of production is under investigation (there is no "plant" code on the GNN14 VIN plates).
|VIN START||DATE START||VIN END||DATE END||SERIES||PHASE||LHD||RHD||TOTAL||PLANT|
|Series 1, Phase A||27||1||13||0||37||0||0||0||14||5|
|Series 1, Phase B||173||37||72||0||141||27||125||30||3||2|
|Series 2, Phase A||0||0||0||0||2||0||2||1||0||0|
According to the data available, the total GNN14s produced was 771.
Differences in the Sunny GTI-R
The GNN14 model was a variation of the GTI-R built for the European (EDM) market and badged as a Sunny (the name of the existing N14 in that market). There were both LHD and RHD versions. They have some parts from the JDM RA Series 1, some from the JDM RB, and some unique.
- VIN: JN1EGNN14U00*****
- Model: EBYNL*N14*******
- Produced: 02/1990 - 01/1993 (further dates under investigation)
- Power: 220ps (217hp, 162kw)
- Torque: 27kgm (267Nm)
- LHD models produced: 668 (available in many European countries)
- RHD models produced: 103 (available in England, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta)
- Boot lid number plate surround: Different design (to fit Euro-size number plates)
- Speed limiter: None
- Speedo - LHD: kph
- Speedo - RHD: mph & kph
- Gauges - LHD: bar (boost and oil pressure)
- Gauges - RHD: psi (boost and oil pressure)
- Clock: Digital (at the base of the tachometer gauge)
- Umbrella holder: None (solid panel like RNN14 RA S2 - no vent like RNN14 RB)
- Air conditioning: None (option)
- Rear light clusters: Lower half divided into 3 sections internally
- Rear fog lights: Outer globe of each light cluster (switch next to rear demister)
- Brake lights: Only 1 globe per side (the other used for fogs)
- Side mirrors: No folding feature (option)
- Side mirrors: Not colour coded
- Cup holders: None
- Steering column stalks: Indicators on left, wipers on right
- Gearstick surround: Rubber (same as RNN14 RB)
- Shift knob: Plastic (same as RNN14 RB)
- Upper door trim: Plastic (same as RNN14 RB)
- Steering wheel: Plastic (same as RNN14 RB) but with GTI-R logo horn button (same as RNN14 RA S1)
- Rear diff casing: Longer cooling fins (same as RNN14 RB)
- Headrests: Hollow style (same as RNN14 RA S1)
- Electrical components: Several have different connectors (ie. starter motor and alternator)
Full Gallery HERE