Compliance?

33 replies to this topic

#1 [~~]

[~~]

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:08 PM

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knew what i had to do to compliance a GTI-R that i am hopefully importing from Japan soon.
and if you could let me know approx price and where i could get it done.

Thanks

Mick

#2 madcabbie

madcabbie

Club Member

• Purchased: 2004
Donator

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:48 PM

The workshop that complied my car (complied before i bought it) was

Sydney Compliance Centre
5//72 Orange Grove Road
Liverpool NSW 2170
02-96014474

Not sure but i hear its about $4000 to $5000 to comply, then you have rego, and greenslips ontop.

Things that have to be done under complaince are

Seat belts
Wiper blades
New tyres
new brake pads/linings. Brake Fluid replaced
Engine management system serviced to man. specs.
New air filter, fuel filter,charcoal canister.
New catalytic converter
Owners manual
Fuel filler restrictor
Child restraints
Dimmer switch

Thats what I got off my compliance papers i got when I bought the car.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Dave

#3 PSI-70Y

PSI-70Y

Ex-Owner

• Purchased: 2002

Posted 24 October 2004 - 10:00 AM

Dave you missed out:

Changing driver mirror from convex(concave?) to flat
Side intrusion bars (if not fitted)

I got mine done just before the new importing system came in and cost me $2400 (but this was Nov 02)

Gino

#4 Datto Sunny

Datto Sunny

Ex-Owner

• Purchased: 2003

Posted 24 October 2004 - 10:39 AM

Also aircon must be degassed professionally. If not already done before importing.

I am not up to speed with the new sevs regulations

I suggest having a chat to a few importers and asking them what is needed.

#5 cardsy

cardsy

Club Member

Posted 24 October 2004 - 11:19 AM

but wait theres more:
fit new DOT or ECE mark tyres
new tyre placard
exhaust system tested and passed ADR 28 COP test procedure
new emissions label
3 Child restraint ancourages behind rear seat to drawing N14-craloc-1
17 digit VIN fitted
centre high mount stop lamp added if not fitted
80km/h label on temp. tyre
temp. spare fitted
temp. spare rim distinctive colour

HTH

#6 delboy

delboy

Ex-Owner

Posted 24 October 2004 - 11:31 AM

Hi
SEVS elligible vehicles
complianced through a RAW,allows for original seat belts to be retained,unless they are deemed unsuitable i.e. Badly faded,frayed torn etc,by the RAW.

Also the dimmer switch is no longer a ADR requirement.

And as known by most, vehicle should be delivered to the RAW as it left the factory .... hmmmm
Should the vehicle be delivered to the RAW with any parts not fitted as Standard from the factory ..... These are "supposed to be "destroyed by the RAW.

AMC Automotive Now are registeres as a RAW.
3/8 Ketch Close,
Orimbah, NSW

I am getting some cars done through this guy.
Cost is $3,850 inc GST.
Plus Tyres
Retro fitting ( regassing ) air conditioning systems are also catered for there .... How ever this will incure additional costs.
They also do all the blue slip requirements inhouse
One can either supply their own car to AMC, but MUST be in original condition when they receive the car .... alt they will have a few cars there within a couple of months.
With full dealer facilities

If you mention GTi-R OZ, you may get a discounted price

Contact Mr Chris Gough
02 43 88 9059

I also can obtain cars direct from auction ..... should any assistance be needed feel free contact me off list,as I had compliance under the old scheem

BTW ... general R prices for a good car with NO accident history are getting snapped up and are now quite hard to find.

Cheers .... Del

#7 madcabbie

madcabbie

Club Member

• Purchased: 2004
Donator

Posted 24 October 2004 - 04:26 PM

Are you sure about them having to destroy any aftermarket products? I was under the impression that if there was something aftermarket, then it had to be removed, to take the car back to factory spec. But then you could reinstall them after it was passed and rego.

#8 ZillaKilla

ZillaKilla

Club Member

• Name: Dean
  • Purchased: 2001
Donator

Posted 24 October 2004 - 05:45 PM

they are legaly suposed to be destroyed..
...but not everyone does everything by the book..

(hey why has the price of 2nd hand aftermarket parts suddenly dropped, and the price of stock parts skyrocketed?)

#9 delboy

delboy

Ex-Owner

Posted 24 October 2004 - 07:52 PM

Hi
Correct there ....
If you need it word for word I shall dig it up,and post it.
Basicly if the RAW receives the car with aftermarket components, this should be documented,these must be removed for compliance where as stated the car should be presented as " left the factory" std parts must then be fitted .... the parts removed should then be whitheld by the RAW and subsequently destroyed with apparently .... documentation.

However if the veh arrives to the RAW as is required,then it can be complied as normal.
If the owner chooses to refit any parts to the veh after thats fine.
Silly as this may sound the veh is not required to have a spare ( for compliance) but if it is ,presented with one it must be the correct one ...

Cheers .... Del

#10 Willy

Willy

Ex-Owner

• Purchased: 2004-08

Posted 25 October 2004 - 10:43 AM

I recently replace my stock exhaust and told the exhaust shop to bit in. I later found out from a guy than I could have sold it to someone importing their GTI-R so that the car could be returned to stock. Apparently standard GTI-R exhausts are hard to find nowadays.

Moral of the story: KEEP ALL YOUR STOCK PARTS. THEY MAY BE WORTH MONEY.

Simon

#11 PSI-70Y

PSI-70Y

Ex-Owner

• Purchased: 2002

Posted 25 October 2004 - 12:07 PM

I've kept everything of my R. Infact my old man is getting the shits as the garage is getting full of GTi-R parts. I've got the whole exhuast, including manifold and dump (and even turbo to TMIC pipe) sitting on my garage floor, plus various other bits, such as stock springs, stock rear swaybar, stock BOV, stock battery and tray, etc, etc, etc.

Just incase

Gino

#12 Shalom

Shalom

Club Founder

• Name: Shalom
  • Purchased: 2000
Garage View Garage Donator

Posted 25 October 2004 - 01:33 PM

as per the FAQ:
How much do they cost to comply?
In June 2003 the RAWS import scheme came into full effect.
As of October 2004 there are only 5 RAWS workshops that are approved to compliance the GTI-R (2 in NSW, 3 in QLD)
Price is currently around $4000.
If/when more become available they will appear under the "Search for a RAW" facility of the RAWS website.

(stay on topic please)

#13 [~fm~]

[~fm~]

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:08 PM

Hi guys, I am in the process of importing a 94 model GTiR. I am currently deciding on which workshop in QLD to do the compliance for me.
Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which one to go to, (or not to go to).
Any info on time it takes them, prices or quality of work would be great.

Thanks.

#14 Damon

Damon

Ex-Owner

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:10 PM

Shogun did mine, as back then, they were the only one of two places in australia that were allowed to do it. I don't know if there are more in Qld that can do it now or not. The other was the Sydney Compliance Centre. As for quality of work, I had no real issue with the quality of the work, except, when you get it back, take the sticker off from the underside of the bonnet that hs the incorrect info regarding timing etc, just in case some mechanic some day actually pays attention to it.

#15 Shalom

Shalom

Club Founder

• Name: Shalom
  • Purchased: 2000
Garage View Garage Donator

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:24 PM

http://raws.dotars.gov.au/rawswebpublic ... Search.asp

currently shows there are 6 in the country - 3 of which are in QLD:

RECREATIONAL VECHICLES
2/29 Expansion St, NERANG QLD 4211
Phone: 07 5564 6177

SHOGUN CAR COMPANY
PO Box 558, ASPLEY QLD 4034
Conatct: Mrs Megan Borissow
Phone: 07 38681377

AUTO STEERING ENGINEERING
PO Box 780, BULIMBA QLD 4171
Phone: 07 3899 6099

Interestingly the other 3 are in NSW... none in VIC (where the original compliancing all began so many years ago at ProTech)

#16 [~AWD2Go~]

[~AWD2Go~]

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:29 AM

I am in the same boat I currently have a service agent scouring Japan for a low K late model R. I have already done some leg work on compliance though. I have a fixed price for my compliance before the car leaves Japan.

I spoke with one of the RAWS complience centres recently and he basically told me the following...

Most of the money goes to the government in fees. Somewhere around 2k of it goes to one department alone (can't remember who he said it was). They do very little on the actual car. Basically they do a tune and replace normal parts and the rest of it is going around the car checking pages and pages of numbers to make sure they match the ones on the car.

He told me that there is far more work involved in compliacing an over 15 year old car than the is one under 15 years.

#17 [~~]

[~~]

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:32 AM

Almost forgot the actual compliance only takes a couple of days up to a week the longest part of the compliance is the 3 week wait for the department to send out the plate.

#18 Stusse

Stusse

Non-Owner

• Purchased: Nudda!

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:20 AM

A "service agent". Does this cut out going through the likes of company's like Prestige. Does this reduce cost at all..? Are these service agents located in Japan or Ausralia..?

I am in the same boat I currently have a service agent scouring Japan for a low K late model R. I have already done some leg work on compliance though. I have a fixed price for my compliance before the car leaves Japan.

I spoke with one of the RAWS complience centres recently and he basically told me the following...

Most of the money goes to the government in fees. Somewhere around 2k of it goes to one department alone (can't remember who he said it was). They do very little on the actual car. Basically they do a tune and replace normal parts and the rest of it is going around the car checking pages and pages of numbers to make sure they match the ones on the car.

He told me that there is far more work involved in compliacing an over 15 year old car than the is one under 15 years.

#19 delboy

delboy

Ex-Owner

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:26 PM

Hi Guest ?

With compliance .... Your quote from C/ workshop ? $2000 goes to one gov/deptment alone ..... hmmmm

Offer to buy guy shovel.

Maybe this compliance workshop has his bank acc named Aust government as that is complete B/Shit.

A compliance workshop ( RAW ) will submit a very small amount of money for the import approval. $165 to be more like the REAL figure.
There is a anual fee of around $5000 from the RAW which they get but that's divided from 100 compiance plates !
Niddrie Name Plates ( who supply the Chassis plate etc ( Private non government company + your 3 week wait ) get $110 for their sevices ....

Other than the mandatory parts ( approx $450 )that need to be provided and an engineers check there is no other costs.

Tyres being extra.

No decent workshop would even need to justify their costs, this person must be feeling guilty for his charges quoted.
Please be aware that setting up to be a current RAW would incure a very large expenditure,this would warrent the costs being quoted across the country for compliance.

As you are being taken for a village idiot if you beleive what you have been told,good that you asked

15 year cars .... needs engineers report approx $250 and SIB' ( to drawings ) and CAT, Tyres,Wiper blades,H/Mounted stop light,and a few other small things to pass including a inspection blue slip ( dependant of state ).
I you are hands on person this can be done by you also.

HTH

Cheers .... Del

#20 [~fm~]

[~fm~]

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:11 PM

Hi Guys, I should have said that I am actually in Victoria, but as there are no compliance places here, I will need to compliance it in either NSW or Qld before I bring it down to Vic. So really I am after the best place (NSW or Qld) that will do a good job at a reasonable price.

Reply to this topic