Mileage issues?

43 replies to this topic

#1 [~lilbeefer~]

[~lilbeefer~]

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:20 PM

I am in the process of importing a gtir through prestigemotorsport.

I read through the buyers guide and found it pretty useful. My only question is in regard to the mileage of a car, and in particular how long the turbo will generally last for. Does anyone know?
Are there any other problems associated with high mileage rnn14s I should know about? I have seen plenty of low km gtirs available but to be honest I am more worried about a 1990 model that has done 70k then a 1994 that has done 100k.

Thanks in advance!

#2 babygtr93

babygtr93

Ex-Owner

• Purchased: 2002-07

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:25 PM

depends how much boost it has seen, if it was warmed up and cooled down properly, if it had regular services (although this may not affect the turbo itself too much).

#3 remotegt

remotegt

Ex-Owner

• Purchased: 2005-07

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:36 PM

my car a 93 and i got 156000km and turbo seems to be ok. until i owned it i 90% certain it hasnt run more boost than standard i now run a litle bit more boost and turbo is all good still. i replaced most piping and hoses and the oil feed line.

#4 gktech

gktech

Supplier [Ex-Owner]

• Purchased: 2006-07

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:40 PM

Which one did you buy on prestiege?

Have a link? :)

#5 [~lilbeefer~]

[~lilbeefer~]

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:44 PM

Sorry no, I havent actually bought one yet, I am on hear asking questions so I find the right one ;)
But rest assured, I will let you all know as soon as it arrives.

Thanks for the info, I thought it may have been hard to give an answer unless there was more info on how it was driven.

#6 gktech

gktech

Supplier [Ex-Owner]

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:56 PM

Stock they only run at around 30-40% of their power so it could have been thrashed like no tomorrow on stock boost and it should be fine.

The turbo is the least of your worries :)

Mine just landed into Australia today, I brought through Prestiege.

Although I would use J-Spec in the future.

Greg

#7 Irish

Irish

Club Member

• Purchased: 1997

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:04 PM

All speedo readings should be considered bullshit. Even in Japan cars get driven more than 100,000km in 15 years. Purchase on condition, not on km's. A set of detailed pictures and an inspection in japan would be the minimum you should get.

#8 [~lilbeefer~]

[~lilbeefer~]

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:06 PM

You would use Jspec? Why?
Can I ask what you paid?

I basically told prestige I am happy with anything under 130 k, with minimal engine mods and no damn boost gauges!

#9 [~~]

[~~]

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:29 PM

mines got 162,000km on it now and not a problem with it. I bought it at 136,000 and all that has happend to it is the usual stuff that would go wrong with any car.

As Irish said, buy a car on condition.

And why import?
Good GTi-Rs are getting scarse in Japan, all the good ones (and unfortunately a lot of bad ones) are already here

#10 BD581

BD581

Ex-Owner

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:32 PM

Opps, i thought i signed in :oops:

#11 Babyzilla

Babyzilla

Ex-Owner

• Purchased: 2000

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:36 PM

there's still the occasional nice Gitty to be found at the auctions in Japan, you just have to be patient... the one I imported is the nicest of the 7 Gti-R's I've imported over the years, but it also took the longest to find... I was fairly particular on what I wanted and even then I still had to settle for a car without sunroof... still, it has practically no wear on the gearknob and steeringwheel, and wherever I look it's completely untouched and hasn't been abused!

#12 [~~]

[~~]

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:41 PM

there's still the occasional nice Gitty to be found at the auctions in Japan, you just have to be patient... the one I imported is the nicest of the 7 Gti-R's I've imported over the years, but it also took the longest to find... I was fairly particular on what I wanted and even then I still had to settle for a car without sunroof... still, it has practically no wear on the gearknob and steeringwheel, and wherever I look it's completely untouched and hasn't been abused!

Thanks for the reassurance.

I havent been able to find a nice gtir in perth for months now, and when I do find one they are more expensive then I can find by importing.

Guest had me worried there :shock:

#13 gktech

gktech

Supplier [Ex-Owner]

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:56 PM

You would use Jspec? Why?
Can I ask what you paid?

I basically told prestige I am happy with anything under 130 k, with minimal engine mods and no damn boost gauges!

I have imported cars through both.

J Spec are far more detailed (eg. they can tell you where your car is) and in general are much more helpful.

I paid 6k landed (including EVERYTHING) and am paying $1200 for compliance. The cars in good condition overall but could do with a respray. The car is 100% stock except for exhaust.

Greg

#14 clegga

clegga

Ex-Owner

• Purchased: 2005-2008

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:16 PM

Thanks for the reassurance.

I havent been able to find a nice gtir in perth for months now, and when I do find one they are more expensive then I can find by importing.

Guest had me worried there :shock:

Theres a reason the local cars are more expensive....you shouldnt count on and import being "cheaper". There is almost always a significant amount of work needed to be done when it arrives, even a full lube change will cost you a bit (diffs/box etc). These cars sit in japan for quite a while most of the time, out in the open too. Mine didnt have rust in the pics or a faded roof but by the time it got here.....bloody crap nissan clearcoat :(

As for the j-spec vs prestige thing, if you look at their lists regularly you will notice quite a few common cars to both of em....i think they have some of the same suppliers in japan.

#15 delboy

delboy

Ex-Owner

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:21 PM

Hi
Sounds like an absolute bargain Greg
Your car I'm assuming is 1990 model hence the $1200 for compliance ?
I'm sure you could save yourself some $ if you do your SIB's and fuel restrictor in the filler neck,high mounted stop light,child restriants etc.
Parts for this would be around $100 - 130 plus an engineers certification in most states approx $220 max.
If you imported it through either of the two mentioned consultants,it must have been very very cheap as this would have included your FOB charges .... around 180K FOB that would normally result in a pretty poor example even if it is a 1990 model.
180k FOB = $4860 depending on exchange rates at the time.Including all associated entry costs.
Taking into concideration normal Japanese FOB charges at inbetween 80 - 120 FOB this means the car cost could be as low as 80k JPY if you allow for consultants fee of $1000.Or was this plus the consultaqnts fee ?
You calculated costs are plus registration etc ?
Sorry to question this as I have imported more than 30 GTi-R's and it seem so very cheap ....

My RB I imported here to Aust had recorded 138K with history, with contstant higher rev's than normal being used( close box ) I have given it plenty of brutal track use and only just replaced the stock turbo which let go,compessions
Always used ( Thanks Iavn ! :wink: ) Castrol 10/60 F/Synth at every 5k changes too.
With high milage anything expect the usual thing to possibly give trouble,P/S pump,water pump,all T/Chain associated parts,suspension and steering components, or better still complet front end :( clutch and possibly slave and master cly, and almost ecpectedly the pedal arears support mount,drivers side door hinges,wear on seat squabs drivers side gearstick leather boot/Knob and S/wheel
The list goes on.
Personally would check out readyly available cars here especially from the forum as most if high klm' or high klm clocked low klm one would have been fixed up with some of the mentioned problems 8)

Rob
I have had a few with no wear on the gear knob and wheel and also on one of those found white cotton driving gloves in the console,which are quite commonly worn by japanese drivers thus the perspiration that can wrecks leather components is lessened to a great extent.

Cheers .... Del

#16 gktech

gktech

Supplier [Ex-Owner]

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:57 PM

Hi
Sounds like an absolute bargain Greg
Your car I'm assuming is 1990 model hence the $1200 for compliance ?
I'm sure you could save yourself some $ if you do your SIB's and fuel restrictor in the filler neck,high mounted stop light,child restriants etc.
Parts for this would be around $100 - 130 plus an engineers certification in most states approx $220 max.
If you imported it through either of the two mentioned consultants,it must have been very very cheap as this would have included your FOB charges .... around 180K FOB that would normally result in a pretty poor example even if it is a 1990 model.
180k FOB = $4860 depending on exchange rates at the time.Including all associated entry costs.
Taking into concideration normal Japanese FOB charges at inbetween 80 - 120 FOB this means the car cost could be as low as 80k JPY if you allow for consultants fee of $1000.Or was this plus the consultaqnts fee ?
You calculated costs are plus registration etc ?
Sorry to question this as I have imported more than 30 GTi-R's and it seem so very cheap ....

The price was 250k FOB = around $2,7xxAUD + freight + duties + GST etc. = tiny but under 6k landed.

I don't pay service fees with either company Jspec or Prestiege.

The car is in quite good condition minus the paint. It's stock as a rock which is what I wanted.

For 16k I could have brought a nice example in Australia. I'd prefer to spend that 10k difference in mods, paint, rims, etc. etc.

I may be doing the compliance myself. Still not sure if I can be bothered or not. I probably will because I hate paying people to do such basic things... (or we'll borrow my mates things of his gti-r if I want to be really really stingy.. lol)

Greg

#17 delboy

delboy

Ex-Owner

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:32 AM

Hi Greg
250 FOB sounds a bargain even if it may require paint .... nice one !
Must be past my bed time typed in wrong exchange rate into the formular that I have always used Ooppps : sorry.
250K JPY FOB based on 9.45 C/Mtrs ( Which is a GTi-R's rated ocean freight ) and US rate is based on .72/3 for the freight car cost all up to Aust in "All duties " and taxes is $5033 .... ?
Possible there is $1000 smackaroonies astray,and you are paying their sevice fee after all or am I to assume that these suppliers purchase the car on your behalf for free for you :? :o as their sevice charges are normally $1000 on top of the car cost :?
I am still alittle confused or your paying $2000 for your freight ....
I hope you are awear that the expression on these web sites of "just come available through one of our suppliers " normally means its available on a national Japanese auction within the next day or so or on Yahoo Japan.

This is not a piss take Greg just genuinely intersted.

Cheers .... Del

#18 [~~]

[~~]

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:01 AM

How can you do compliance yourself? Do you work at a RAWS workshop?
How do you not pay service fees?

Now I am not so assured :(

#19 delboy

delboy

Ex-Owner

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:29 AM

Hi
To answer you question guest,this would only apply to a 1990 vehicle purchased prior to 7th Feb last year and paid for( by your supplier ) witth import approval issued, based on the now redundant 15 year rule then be shipped here,thus most of the 1990 models being imported here are late 1990 ( as our cars were released subjuct to the usual disputes :wink: around the month of August of 1990 )and arrive here approx 6 weeks or so after the date of manufacture has been reached.

This 15 year rule would normally allow you being able to do all the modifications required to register the vehicle yourself.
Should you import a post 1990 vehicle then as you may be aware,present to the RAW a bog stock veh, which unless you can receive the vehicle personally and swap / borrow and install proir to presenting the car to the RAW all non gen parts, then I sudgest you look for a vehicle here .... and no you cannot do " Any of the work required for compliance " if the vehicle is being complied by a RAW.

Should you have any other doubt and know the specific rules required I would definately purchase one in Aust,to aviod any disapointments.as costs can get away.

Yes I do do work at a RAW also.

HTH

Cheers .... Del

#20 gktech

gktech

Supplier [Ex-Owner]

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:48 AM

Hi Greg
250 FOB sounds a bargain even if it may require paint .... nice one !
Must be past my bed time typed in wrong exchange rate into the formular that I have always used Ooppps : sorry.
250K JPY FOB based on 9.45 C/Mtrs ( Which is a GTi-R's rated ocean freight ) and US rate is based on .72/3 for the freight car cost all up to Aust in "All duties " and taxes is $5033 .... ?
Possible there is $1000 smackaroonies astray,and you are paying their sevice fee after all or am I to assume that these suppliers purchase the car on your behalf for free for you :? :o as their sevice charges are normally $1000 on top of the car cost :?
I am still alittle confused or your paying $2000 for your freight ....
I hope you are awear that the expression on these web sites of "just come available through one of our suppliers " normally means its available on a national Japanese auction within the next day or so or on Yahoo Japan.

This is not a piss take Greg just genuinely intersted.

Cheers .... Del

I haven't received the freight bill as yet. The FOB price was $2,7xx and I was expecting approximately $3,000ish for freight, GST etc. etc. If it's cheaper then I'll be happier :)

The car landed into Brisbane today and will be here in Melbourne in around 10 days.

Greg

Reply to this topic