#21 godzilr

godzilr

Club Moderator

• Name: Kelvin
  • Purchased: 02-08 / 11-13
Garage View Garage Donator

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:36 PM

no probs...what was your name?

i'd check this car out; http://forum.gtiroz....opic.php?t=2342 (if Nathan still has it)

look down the sides of the car...see if there's any mis-match paint...look for accident repairs...if the the plastic mouldings (bumper/side/rear number plate surround/door handles) have been resprayed (colour-coded) ask if the car has been fully resprayed...when and why?

take off both front indicators (2 screws) and look at the support panel behind it...see if its been fixed up after a prang...you'll be able to tell...compare both sides

make sure all lights match up to where the body line is...see if the lines are equal on both sides...a light could be lower on one side...ask why

you wanna have a look at the car first thing in the morning from COLD...see how it starts up...any odd sounds

take it for a drive from cold until temps are up to 80deg...see how that goes

then try to get the car hotter...see how it reacts then

buying a stock car isn't always the best...who's to know if the car had all the fruits on it...and been thrashed around...and only taken back to stock for the sale to make it look innocent? if a car has been modded well/correctly theres no reason not to buy it...if everything is good

you're gonna need to spend money on it to get it where you want it, when you could have bought something with alot of it done already

if poss, try and get a NSW member to help you out when looking...

HTH

kelvin

#22 [~~]

[~~]

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

Thanks Steve (?),

I'm glad you agree...I'm in this for the long haul. The more I learn the better off I'll be. As far as I'm concerned you can only learn so much from books...

I'm keen to spend time/money getting the handling absolutely spot on...then possibly building upon it, but only so far.

Also, very good call on the way Sydney seems at present...sad news appearing too often. Thanks for all the tips...there's so many people here that are so willing to help. I appreciate every effort that's been made!

#23 [~~]

[~~]

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

Wow...plenty of great info there...some things I'd done, many I hadn't. Really very helpful Kelvin! I feel I've a big debt to pay to the forum upon joining...the support I've been shown is fantastic! Thanks to all again!

My name's Evan (sorry for my lack of manners).

Nathan does have a very nice car there, no doubting that (I followed that thread closely myself). I'm just so picky when it comes these sort of things. I don't really wish to refer to the things that aren't what I want as I feel Nathan's sale should be un-tainted by my humble and personal opinion. If it has been sold, then that's another story...

I must say, I most certainly agree with you godzilr...it's just as much of a gamble on a stock 'R as a modded 'R in many ways. I'm not willing to rule out modded 'Rs completely...but I'm primarily focused on handling and stopping...

To be honest, I'd love assistance but I don't really feel comfortable requesting it...it's something I will most certainly consider now though. Thanks for the tip godzilr!

#24 delboy

delboy

Ex-Owner

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:33 PM

Hi Evan

If you are who I think you may be ? .... good luck finding the right car.

Cheers .... Del

#25 [~~]

[~~]

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:46 PM

Thanks Del, much appreciated.

You're a good man...all the best to you!

Evan

#26 delboy

delboy

Ex-Owner

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:06 PM

Hi Evan
With all your interest and positive comments I thought you would at least have come back to me and driven it as you appeared so keen when you were here.

I guess you didn't find one before christmas as you planed after all.
And no I'm not offended, its a big decision buying any import ,especially if you buy wrong and end up with a lemon.

Cheers .... Del

#27 [~~]

[~~]

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:46 PM

With all your interest and positive comments I thought you would at least have come back to me and driven it as you appeared so keen when you were here.

Hey Del,

I certainly don't believe there was any malice involved on my behalf. Perhaps you'll be able to agree after reading the email I've just sent you. I don't want you or anyone else to think I'm a 'time-waster', I believe that would be an injustice. I maintained regular contact with you and still have a copy of every email sent (which clearly tracks our progress), but perhaps this was not enough for some reason.

I respect you Del and consider you a friend, I'd be please to know that you feel the same way,

Evan

#28 Damon

Damon

Ex-Owner

• Purchased: 2003

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:00 AM

I thought the way you did about it before I bought mine Evan, I wanted a stock one, mainly for cost/insurance/resale... however in some ways in hindsight I would have liked to have bought a mildly modified (or even more than mildly modified one)...

If you can find a good one with some nice aftermarket bits already, it just means (assuming said bits are in good nick) that you don't have to buy them yourself... especially the simpler stuff like strut braces etc etc, they are only 200 or so, but thats 200 you could be spending on something else, and they all add up...

Also, buying a members ride would give the advantage of being able to find out if some of the common little things have been fixed up already for e.g. clutch pedal support bracket...

Good Luck

#29 [~~]

[~~]

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:49 AM

If you can find a good one with some nice aftermarket bits already, it just means (assuming said bits are in good nick) that you don't have to buy them yourself... especially the simpler stuff like strut braces etc etc, they are only 200 or so, but thats 200 you could be spending on something else, and they all add up...

Thanks Damon,

I agree, some of the more subtle things are certainly a welcome sight...but basically just bolt on bits (strut braces as you mentioned). I believe you're right, these are the sort of things that I'm happy not to buy ($200 here + $200 there = $400 too much). Also, I agree that buying a members ride offers you an insight into the cars history and some peace of mind knowing that, as you said, some of the smaller things have been sorted out. You've brought up some good points.

Thank you,
Evan

#30 delboy

delboy

Ex-Owner

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hi Evan
Read your emai/post,and I understand your intentions were all good to purchase the Red R I have for sale. I'm embarrassed to say the least .... I posted up on the fourm instead of sending you an email privately.
Sorry for this mistake :oops: Was way past my bed time !
I was a little harsh with my comments. .... I am the one to blame but was confused you made no further interest / contact.

I was unable to access a trade plate at that time,and because you stated that you wanted to have one before Christmas assumed you would not be interested further.
I have sold lots of R's and have had to listen to many " stories " ..... Not for one minute did I or do I concider you to have been a time waster.
Just a freindly,honest guy that wants to learn and doesn't want to buy the wrong car like some on the fourm who are still paying for not looking around at more cars proir to their final purchase.
Again sorry

More than pleased to assist you anytime.

Cheers .... Del

#31 [~~]

[~~]

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:20 PM

Cheers Del,

As I've said before, you're a good man...someone I respect! Thank you for your kind words and especially your continued support...to me that's important!

At this point I feel it right to mention that my comments were also suffering from a lack of sleep (and certainly don't read how they were meant to sound)...but we both know where we stand now, so that's what really counts.

I look forward to speaking with you again...take care mate,

Evan

Reply to this topic