Daily driven?

31 replies to this topic

#1 [~Gazman~]

[~Gazman~]

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:04 PM

I currently own a toyota corolla GTi but after looking at the nissan pulsar GTiR I have inevitably come to realise that i just HAVE to own one :-)

My current situation would not suit having two cars and so I want to know if the GTiR would be a reliable daily driver. It would be really helpful to know some of the shortfalls (if there are any) from current owners that do use their GTiR every day.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gary.

#2 godzilr

godzilr

Club Moderator

• Name: Kelvin
  • Purchased: 02-08 / 11-13
Garage View Garage Donator

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:07 PM

don't run big boost...and treat the box well...and she'll be fine...

if you wanna run big boost...make sure its setup well...and be prepared!

take care of it...and you shouldn't run into probs!

#3 andi

andi

Club Member

• Purchased: Nov 2004

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:17 PM

Kelvin pretty must spelt it out.

Treat it nicely and she'll be right back to you.

Don't go dumping the clutch every intersection and shift nicely and not aggressively - or you'll end up with a useless box.

If you're going to mod for some more power and better handling do it properly, dont be dodgy and try to skimp down on parts like fuel pumps etc.

Service it regularly if you're making it a daily driver, and expect to fix things when you first get it - as most come with little problems here and there. Ask Rob, he should know. ;)

#4 Wendy

Wendy

Club Member

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:25 PM

I think you will find that there are a lot of us that have used our cars as a daily driver ours was doing 100k's a day and we only had minor problems probably the same as you would expect with any daily driven car. As everyone above has said you must maintain the car so that it is reliable and don't over boost and be gentle with the gearbox and the car will look after you.

Wendy

#5 [~Takumi~]

[~Takumi~]

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:29 PM

50000 kms in about 2 years of driving just usual wear and tear. if you cant use a clutch properly forget about it if you like the odd spirited drive. i know somone who has paid silly money on repairs form always dumping the clutch basically...

#6 jamesb

jamesb

Ex-Owner

• Name: James
  • Purchased: Was 03-05

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:49 PM

14 months of 45-60mins driving per day, some highway, some stop-start.

Was serviced regularly, started first click and never missed a beat.

HTH

#7 Willy

Willy

Ex-Owner

• Purchased: 2004-08

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:54 PM

Another daily driver here. I had a few small issues when I got the car and I had to replace the clutch at some stage, but it has still never been to a mechanic. I have done everything myself. Like everyone else said, drive it nicely and regularly service it and it should be OK if you get a good one. I would recommend getting a cheap POS though.

Simon

#8 psy-paul

psy-paul

Ex-Owner

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:13 PM

daily driver here, havnt had much issues besides things that have needed replacement due to old age (these cars are about 15yrs old!). treat it well and it'll treat u good. if u really wanna be safe go easy on the big launches haha!

that doesnt mean u cant have fun with it though! ive racked up 15000kms since my purchase in feb/march... curse those spirited drives! :P

#9 shibbygtir

shibbygtir

Ex-Owner

• Purchased: 2004-08

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:27 PM

Another daily driver here too. Be prepared for some repairs and more ongoing maintenance than that of your usual "daily hack." Also keep in mind that parts can become expensive and small jobs can turn into nightmares (trust me, I know!), so prepare yourself with some back-up cash in case you're off the road so that it's a quick recovery.

HTH

Mitch

#10 [~Gazman~]

[~Gazman~]

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Its good to know there are people around willing to spend time sharing information with guys like me.

Sounds like I shouldn't have too many issues with the car if im careful in the purchasing process and treat it with the respect it demands (after all its not really your average car now is it?).

The only other question I have is would it make sence to buy a car from the eastern states (don't seem to be any here in WA for sale) and drive it back to WA or just put it on the train? I wasnt so sure how well a car like the GTiR would go on such a long hot trip and with the availability of 98 octane juice rather questionable... Its just im not sure how expencive car freight is and how well they look after the cars...

Thanks again.

Gary.

#11 andi

andi

Club Member

• Purchased: Nov 2004

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:06 PM

Not sure about driving it back but I'm pretty sure its safe to drive on lower octane petrol as long as your not booting it up high into the rev-range.

#12 4_Down

4_Down

Club Member

• Purchased: 18/12/03

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:09 PM

I have had mine since december 03 and it has been a daily driver ever since. I have been running at 15 psi every day for 12 months too and have not encountered any problems, apart from a couple of power window things *touches wood*. Maintenance and care are the best thing's for an R. I have had my fair share of spirited driving also.

#13 jamesb

jamesb

Ex-Owner

• Name: James
  • Purchased: Was 03-05

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:23 PM

http://forum.gtiroz....opic.php?t=2220
WA car

http://forum.gtiroz....opic.php?t=2232
SA car (bit closer)

Both are great platforms.

P.S You will find this site excellent for helpful info from a bunch of great ppl.

Perhaps Im biased though...

#14 godzilr

godzilr

Club Moderator

• Name: Kelvin
  • Purchased: 02-08 / 11-13
Garage View Garage Donator

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:25 PM

Gary, Tim here on this forum who owns a GTiR in WA has his for sale atm...engine has just been rebuilt...

http://forum.gtiroz....opic.php?t=2220

try and get in contact with him

#15 pschurr

pschurr

Club Member

• Name: Peter
  • Purchased: 2003
Donator

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:32 PM

If you get one, you want to make sure all the general running gear has been refreshed - wheel bearings, bushes, driveshafts. Disc and pads are easily done. Then make sure the fluids are correct and fresh - gearbox/transfer case/engine oil - and not leaking. Make sure the front/rear main seals are ok.

Then you want to watch out for leaking clutch hose, clutch and brake master cylinders and the clutch slave cylinder.

Most of the ongoing maintainence of these cars is the replacing of the things that you'd expect to die after 15 years... ball joints, CV boots, blah blah. Get those things sorted and you'd have a good relaible daily driver - barring aggressive driving, in which case a clutch evey year ain't too bad.

peter

#16 l3nny

l3nny

Club Member

• Purchased: 2004

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:40 PM

Mine is a daily driver. I drive a min. of 300km per week ~40min-1hr per day of driving. I usually average 500 km per week though. I've also driven it to melbourne and back along the great ocean rd (highly recommended) which took ~2200km.

All in all affordable if you behave yourself and stay off the boost (end parental warning). Like everyone else has said most problems are due to age for instance with piping splitting (power steering hoses) and some gaskets starting to wear.

Also if you are starting to do repairs/mods prepare for the possibility of having the car of the road for longer with unforseen problems. Thats a just in case - worst case scenario. Make sure you have some good tools as well. this is very important.

#17 [~markimak~]

[~markimak~]

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:58 PM

yeah good daily driver.. from my experiences the bits and pieces of the car which r rubber. etc. bailey rubbers, bushes.. and what i dnt like BALL JOINTS. die.. apart from that its a wicked beast that makes a good daily driver 10,000kms in 5 months.. and think u can wax anything u come up against on the road..
be warned petrol will bite ur pocket... and the engine is noisey.. :x

#18 clegga

clegga

Ex-Owner

• Purchased: 2005-2008

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:43 AM

cheapest i've ever heard of is about $900 from east coast to perth, it aint cheap :)

you could always enlist somebody like www.prestigemotorsport.com.au to find a car in japan for you. Car will be cheaper up front but might possibly require a bit of work to get it up to scratch (but at least you know its done then). Otherwise Tim's RB does look rather nice :)

#19 [~ruski~]

[~ruski~]

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:39 AM

Another daily driver here. Have only had wear/tear problems so far, but as everyone has stated: treat the car right and it will treat you right. The minute you disrespect it it will start to disrespect you.

But yeah, its not the quietest of machines on the road and petrol is a mofo, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

#20 [~Rotormotor~]

[~Rotormotor~]

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:25 PM

Whats the fuel economy like?

my Rx3 cost about $120+ a week to drive to work and back.

RM

Reply to this topic